A roof is more than just the covering over a house that protects what is inside. It is an essential part of the entire house structure; one that can add or detract value from a home as well. A roof is one of the most essential parts of any home, so neglecting the roof by not providing necessary maintenance and roof repair can be very detrimental. Homeowners who arrange for regular roofing services, such as routine maintenance and minor repairs, before they become bigger issues can avoid the effects of long-term roof neglect.
Proper Roof Care
Failing to properly care for a roof invites the issues that come with neglect. Every roof should be inspected at least once a year to check for common problems that frequently result in leaks and other damage. Keeping roofs and gutters clean is an important part of this maintenance. With proper roof care, homeowners can extend the life of their roof and avoid the damage caused by neglect.
The Effects of Short Term Roof Neglect
Short term roof neglect describes the damages that result from not providing routine care to a roof. These problems are easily remedied with good maintenance and timely repairs, such as the following:
- Roof Leaks - Most small leaks start from shingles that need attention, flashing that needs repairing, and other issues with roofing material. With regular roof observation and by looking for the signs of more common causes of leaks and damage, homeowners can stay on top of these temporary concerns before they become bigger problems.
- Mold, Dirt, and Decay - Organic matter stuck on the roof, or over-filled gutters, leaves roofs susceptible to various ailments caused by moisture. Molds, funguses, and moss can causes roofing material to loosen, rot and leak over time.
- Infestations - An unmonitored roof may not only suffer damage from the elements, but could also become home to various insects and other critters that do even more damage.
- Inefficiency - Roofs that are no longer watertight, are rotting, or that have animal, insect, or other types of damage can also cause a reduction in the home’s energy efficiency. When a roof has leaks, holes, and other places for air to escape other than roof and attic vents, cooling and heating goes right through, which means that keeping this type of home comfortable will be more expensive.
Serious Consequences of Long Term Roof Neglect
- Interior Damage - Leaks that go ignored or undiscovered for some time eventually cause damage inside the home as well, as moisture penetrates insulation, wood, and drywall. A stain on the drywall usually indicates a leak has been there for a while.
- Weakening of the Roof Structure - In worst cases, when leaks and other damage go undiscovered for long periods of time, severe water or pest damage can cause rotting of the entire structure holding up the roof and the top part of the house. This is not only dangerous, but very inefficient concerning energy as well.
- Increased Repair Costs and Loss of Value - The more damage present, the greater repair costs will be, especially when a problem has been ongoing. What may have once been a simple repair could become an extensive one. This will happen when a roof has been neglected and homeowners are not aware of the problems or did not take care of the repair when they discovered it. As a result, home value can drop dramatically when a roof needs extensive repairs.
It is important for homeowners to understand the importance of maintaining their roofs and avoiding any kind of neglect. In order to prevent the concerns that arise from neglect, it is essential that roofs be cleaned and inspected periodically and any minor roof repairs made by qualified roofing services long before they become major problems!