The roof is an important part of the building which envelops whole building. It’s very important to protect the roof which in turn protects the building. Roofing material is the outermost layer that covers the roof. Sometimes roofing is self-supporting and sometimes it has an underlying structure. There are multiple reasons for roofing a building. Roofing protects a building or a shelter from harsh weather conditions like rain, snow, heat, and wind as well. Roofing is an industry that works on roofs to make them sustainable against the wraths of nature and extend the longevity of the building.
Types of roofing materials
There are different types of materials that are used for roofing which protects buildings from various climatic conditions. Some of the extensively used materials are as under.
Corrugated galvanized iron is most widely used. Corrugated galvanized roofing is made with wavy corrugations so that it can resist the lateral flexing and fitted with fasteners that are exposed. They have low cost and high durability. Sheds are normally roofed with this material.Copper roofs are also used which can last for hundreds of years. Copper roofs have high durability, can be fabricated easily and at the same time they have low maintenance cost and are corrosion resistant. Steel which is coated with alloy and zinc is also extensively used. Concrete roofing are also prevalent in many regions When there is need of flushed celling hallow – core slabs are used.
It’s very important to maintain you roof, maintaining your metal roof can be a tricky job and hence you need to keep few important considerations in mind so that you can maintain the roofs
· Inspect the roof on a regular basis. Clean all leaves, debris and ensure that there is no blockage in the drainage system running through the roof.
· Maintaining your metal roof is not as difficult as it seems. The second step that will facilitate the maintenance of the roofing is to keep different metals separate. When different metals come in contact to each other and become wet, the process of electrolysis starts which causes electrolytic corrosion.
· Clean you metal roof with the few drops of dish soap so that it is clean and no corrosion takes palace.
· It’s also important to spray some mineral spirits on your roofing, this of one of the important key in maintaining the metal roof top.
· Keep on checking the roof after bad weather, and fix damages.
· Sweep snow, ice or water that accumulates on the roofing.